Photo by Ted and Dina Hathaway

Friday, April 29, 2011

Blog #11: The Haunted Mansion

Photo by Ted and Dina Hathaway

Welcome to another Friday edition of the Disney World Nation blog. Tonight Team Friday (Michelle M, Rachel, Sherry, James, and Katherine) talk about a classic ride in Magic Kingdom w/ some new upgrades. Here is this week’s question
Both teams have taken a lap around the world now, so lets head back to where it all began. The new Fantasyland is not the only refurbishment drawing attention. The Haunted Mansion has seen a few new additions in the past few months, including a new interactive graveyard queue and updated hitchiking ghost scenes. You question of the week is "Do you think the new additions to the Haunted Mansion make the ride better or take away from the classic nature of the ride" Does it make you want to go on it more now than before?
Michelle M: You know, there is a saying that if it ain't broke don't fix it.  Well, that theory is destroyed by pixie dust as soon as you cross the gates onto Disney property. {poof}.  This is definitely evident in the latest endeavors involving The Haunted Mansion.  The most exciting aspect is the new queue line.  In the past the queue line was a meandering stroll through an endless line of ropes.  Now :) "Can you tell I am excited" :).  This was an amazing idea!  Of course people are going to have to wait in line so why not give them something to do.  I cannot wait to play in the water and bubbles around the captain's bathtub.  I am super excited about the poet's corner.  The Haunted Mansion is already an eticket ride.  I predict that the new queue line and improved hitchhiking ghosts are going to be an even bigger draw.  I can't wait to experience the new hitchhikers.  The technology is phenomenal. Where else can you trade heads with a ghost?  Nowhere but Disney.  The Disney magic begins at the very beginning of the queue line and carries all the way through the ride. :) and out past the pet cemetery.  One can only hope that Disney will see the amazing reaction to an interactive queue line and incorporate it into other shows and rides.  Magic while you wait!!! Woohoo!
Sherry: I can't wait to see all the new additions to the Haunted Mansion.  Beginning with the new interactive queue, it has been enhanced so that the experience begins before you even enter Gracey Manor.  Also, at the end of the ride, the hitchhiking ghosts have become more playful.  I believe that with these substantial improvements, the ride will become fresh again, and will require many return trips!
Katherine: The Haunted Mansion is a classic and most people believe a classic shouldn't be changed. Recently however the Imaginears have given the Haunted Mansion queue a face lift, with friendly haunts and enchanted gravestones. I believe the new queue is a welcome addition it helps set the mood for what awaits you inside. Here in the queue you get to interact with the haunts, create music, help a ghost create a poem or two, or even cool off with the help of a sea captain. I am eager to see this queue on my next Disney vacation.    
Rachael: So, the question of the week is whether the new additions to the Haunted Mansion make the ride better or take away for the classic nature of the ride????  Having not been there to experience it personally (that is, until June…55 days), it’s hard for me to make a decision either way.  However, I’m excited to see it.  I don’t think it’s going to take away from the classic nature.  It’s really hard for me and I flip flopped back and forth on this question many times.  I’m a believer that one should preserve the classic nature of all of the attractions, but then if they do then people would get bored with the attraction.  I don’t think Walt would have wanted any of his parks to become stale.  Me being the DF (Disney freak) that I am, I don’t think I could ever see any Disney attraction as stale and I’m ready to experience it NOW. What I would like to see on the Haunted Mansion is a picture with the hitchhiking ghosts.  That would be so cool!  I would like to re-visit this question after I get to see it for myself (in 55 days, did I mention that?).  I still think it’s the change that keeps visitors coming back year after year.  So, until next Friday, see ya real soon!
James: This is a tough one for me. After spending the past 5 months on board the Disney Magic, I haven’t heard much about the updates to the Haunted Mansion. After reviewing the little bits of information that I’ve received, I have to say that I’m most excited about the new hitch hiking ghost scene. This is the only “trick” that I couldn’t figure out when riding as a “youngster” so an updated animated version of the scene would be a great asset to the theming and tone of the ride. I always see any updates to the parks as an exciting thing. As Walt once said, “We keep moving forward.” The Disney parks are meant to keep changing over the years, this way there is always something new for returning guests to see. Let's just say I welcome back the 999 ghosts... And if they still have room... Muhahahaha!!!
Whether these new additions make this ride better remains to be seen, but definitely is reason enough to take a ride next time you are in Magic Kingdom. Thank you once again for reading the Disney World Nation blog, please come back Monday when Team Monday talks about Epcot and characters… Bill Sauerbier


No comments:

Post a Comment