Photo by Ted and Dina Hathaway

Monday, May 9, 2011

Blog #14 Cram Dining at Animal Kingdom

Photo by Ted and Dina Hathaway

Welcome to another edition of the Disney World Nation blog. Tonight Team Monday talks about Dining at Animal Kingdom. Here is today’s question
In my book, The Cram Zone Guide to Walt Disney World 2010 there is a chapter about Cram Dining, Cram Dining is the counter service restaurants (basically if it has a waiter it doesn't count). Cram Dining Restaurants make up over half of the eating that is done at the parks, so your question for this week is, "Where is your favorite place to Cram Dine in Animal Kingdom" Is it the Flame Tree BBQ,Pizzafari, Restaurantasaurus, or even some place that doesn't even have a name?
Beth: Our favorite place to grab a quick meal in A. K. would have to be the Restaurantasaurus. It's kind of out of the way, and its median priced. There are lots of options for the little kids, and it's usually not too too crowded. We like the way the condiments are buffet style, and easily accessible. I appreciate the flooring, and I don’t get all panicky the times I've had all 6 of my kids - worrying that I'll have to get on my hands and knees and clean the floor when we're through. It's also close to the front, and we've usually worked up a hearty appetite by the time we reach there. Being that it's tucked into a beautiful garden area, it's a nice place to take a break, while your meal has a chance to digest.

Bill W: We have struggled to find counter service restaurants in the Animal Kingdom that we really enjoy (we have had several bad experiences in the past.)  My favorite counter service restaurant used to be the Tusker House, now that it has been turned into a Table Service restaurant I have had to find a new favorite.  On our last trip to Walt Disney World we finally tried the Flame Tree BBQ.  I thought we had been there before, but I had gotten it mixed up with the rotisserie chicken that they used to serve at the Tusker House.  It was quite hot during our visit (when is it not hot in the Animal Kingdom??) so we wanted to go with something quick and light.  I got the BBQ Chicken Salad and my wife and daughter got the Fruit Platter.  Wow were we surprised, they were both delicious and helped us keep our cool.  It was one of the best Counter Service meal we have ever had at Walt Disney World, and we will make a point of dining there from now on.
Lauren: Now that we are Disney Vacation Club members and our villas come with either a kitchenette or full kitchen, we don’t find ourselves looking for a quick bite to eat very often. Usually we pack sandwiches and bring them into the parks with us or go back to our room to make lunch (and take a nap). I find avoiding meals in the parks is a major budget saver for our family. On our trip just last week though, we did discover an excellent little food kiosk located in the Asia section of The Animal Kingdom.  We all know how hot Animal Kingdom is most days. Looking to quench our thirst but wanting something other than water or soda, we came upon Royal Anandapur Tea Company. I am a caffeine addict so this amazing little place was like heaven for me; Teas of all kind abound, coming in both iced and hot varieties. Even the coffee is available hot or iced, real coffee, not the premixed flavored stuff they have at most of the parks. The prices are a little steep but everything tasted so good I chose to overlook that downside. My hubby and I were able to have an iced Chai and the kids got a treat of a double chocolate muffin. I am thrilled we found this little gem and I know it will be a definite stop from now on during our trips to AK.
Michelle W: For me, it’s all about the Turkey Legs! I’m a sucker for one each time we are down in Disney World. So when we are in Animal Kingdom, I make sure to stop at Trilo-Bites to grab one along with a Frozen Lemonade! As for the rest of the family, they are Pizza Fans, so we’ll usually end up at Pizzafari for some Cheese Pizza & an order of Breadsticks!
Ted: I can't say I've eaten at to many of the Animal Kingdom's option for quick service dining.  Usually Animal Kingdom is an early day trip because the animals are more active around when the park opens, and then we hit up one of the other parks, Epcot especially, for dinner.  But when we do stop for a bite, our favorite stop is Pizzafari.  The food hits the spot and energizes you for the next few hours of fun.  The decor in the restaurant is fun and kids will love it.  Pizzafari is one of our top quick dining options throughout all the parks.  And although most do not like them, I actually don't mind the enviro-friendly straws.
Hopefully we gave you a few hints for your next visit to Animal Kingdom. Thank you once again for joining us at the Disney World Nation Blog. Please come back Friday when Team Friday goes souvenir shopping to find the best souvenir in WDW. Till then, see you real soon!   Bill Sauerbier

No comments:

Post a Comment